Pages

09 July 2017

Overcoming Fear by Leslie L. McKee

Leslie L. McKee, Author & Editor
Overcoming Fear
Guest Post by Leslie L. McKee

Thanks so much for the invite, Carrie. I’m happy to be here.

In January 2016, I toyed with the idea of writing some devotionals about something I’m quite familiar with: worry — and learning to let go and let God. I chose some verses, but that was as far as it went … until September.
I received an email which I knew was God sent: the opportunity to be part of a devotional book on topics near and dear to my heart: stress, fear, worry … and letting go of them. I knew I needed to be a part of this, especially as the title was the same title I toyed with back in January. The problem was I had never written a devotional in my life. Sure, I have read many of them. I’ve written poetry since I was a child and book reviews for more years than I can count. I’m also an editor. This project, while exciting to consider, was totally outside of my comfort zone. However, I felt God telling me to take the leap of faith and just start writing. After all, I had a lifetime of experience to choose from, and I had numerous meaningful verses already chosen.

Since the focus of your blog is on overcoming with God, I decided to discuss the devotion I wrote based on a situation which really put my faith to the test. It was one of the scariest times I’ve ever faced in my life.

In February 2016, my husband underwent a major surgery. The procedure itself went well, but there were complications. His hospital stay grew from a proposed three days to ten. Our family does not live nearby, so I had to rely on virtual support. I’ve been a Christ follower for years, so I knew God was with us in that hospital, too. He showed up in many ways — phone calls, text messages, songs, the hospital staff, and even the birds in the hospital aviary. All of these things provided me with reminders that I didn’t need to stress or worry because God was watching over us.

Despite the events occurring around me, I could feel an unexpected sense of peace. In that hospital, I was able to follow the words of Lamentations 3:57, which states, “You drew near on the day I called on You, and said, ‘Do not fear!’” I made the choice to choose faith over fear and overcome with God’s help. Did it automatically stop all my worries and “what if” thoughts? No. But I was no longer succumbing to my fears.

Revelation 3:21 states, “…to him who overcomes…” The phrasing here comes from the Greek word nikao. God wants us to be — in fact, He calls us to be —hupernikaos, which means “more than overcomers.” The great news is that, no matter the circumstance, it is possible to overcome with God’s help.

I’m so honored to have my devotions included in Just Breathe 

Bio: Leslie L. McKee is a professional editor and proofreader. Her editing career began as a reviewer for RT Bookreviews Magazine, where she still reviews books of various genres. She also reviews for Publishers Weekly. Books have always been a significant part of her life. She has been professionally editing and proofreading manuscripts for authors and publishing houses since 2012. Leslie’s lifelong love of reading and learning, in addition to reviewing and teaching, led her into the publishing industry. Editing and reviewing are not merely jobs. They are her passions. Leslie is an avid reader with an eye for detail, making her a perfect match for this career. 

Leslie is a member of American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW), and has served as a judge for their First Impression, Carol Awards, and Genesis contests. She is also a member of The Christian PEN.  Some of her devotionals were recently accepted by Ellie Claire to be part of a compilation which will be released in July 2017.

In her spare time, Leslie enjoys reading, playing piano, crocheting, spending time with family and friends (and her turtle!), and rooting for the NY Giants. 

You can find out more about her editorial and proofreading services on her website: (www.lmckeeediting.wixsite.com/lmckeeediting ). You can also find her on her blog (www.lmckeeediting.blogspot.com ) or on Twitter (@lmckeeediting).

Giveaway: We're giving away a copy of Just Breathe to a reader who is willing to read and review this new devotional book (USA only.) If you don't have a blog but would like to share your review with the OWG blog, please indicate that as well. 



29 comments:

  1. Leslie, thank you for your message today. I love how you say "I made the choice to choose faith over fear and overcome with God's help." What a wonderful blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. Yes, it certainly was a blessing. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. We're delighted to have you with us today, Leslie, and congrats on your new release in this devotional!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie, thank you for sharing your inspiring message with us! Congratulations on your devotional!
    Like Melissa, I love the choice you made, "I made the choice to choose faith over fear and overcome with God’s help". Praise God for His promises! What a blessing!
    Blessings, Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'are very welcome, Mrs. Tina. Thanks for stopping by. God is truly awesome!

      Delete
  4. Hi! I don't have a blog but would really benefit from a devotional like this one. I fight PTSD, depression and anxiety on a daily basis and am trying to overcome them as best as I can. I'm not sure what you mean by sharing a review with OWG but I am interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sabrina,

      Sending prayers your way.

      Carrie, can you explain to Sabrina what she needs to do to regarding the review?

      Delete
    2. Yes, please, Carrie, let me know what you need me to do! Thank you! :)

      Delete
    3. And thank you so much for the prayers Leslie! They are much appreciated! :D

      Delete
    4. Sending you a message on Facebook, Sabrina!

      Delete
  5. Leslie, What a beautiful testimony. I choose faith over fear, too. I enjoy devotional and have several I read each day plus others on my shelves I recycle through during a month or year. Just Breathe sounds wonderful.
    marilynridgway78 at gmail{dot]com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn. It's not always easy for me to choose faith over fear, but I'm a work in progress :) I love devotionals and have many I use, as well. I hope you enjoy the book.

      Delete
  6. I love how you shared that God was with you in so many ways during that scary hospital stay. Thank you for sharing, Leslie! Just Breathe sounds like a devotional that all of us should have close at hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and you're welcome, Shelley. I agree. I think everyone could benefit from reading it. It's a good reminder, for sure!

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed your testimony, Leslie - thanks so much!! I've found He is the only answer to ALL of life's problems - large or small!! Congrats on "Just Breathe"!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and thanks so much, Bonnie. Yes, He certainly is!!

      Delete
  8. Just Breathe sounds like a book not to be missed. I don't have a blog but I would be glad to share a comment or review. mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to get a copy of 'Just Breathe'. I'd be happy to share a review.
    ksurp@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carrie, I'd love to have a copy of "Just Breathe". I do not have my own blog but would be glad to review it at OWG. I read a lot of devotionals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, thanks for stopping by. I hope you enjoy the book!

      Delete
    2. Congrats, NANCY, you have won a copy of Leslie McKee's devotional and we look forward to hosting your review on OWG blog! Blessings!

      Delete
  11. I would love to read 'Just Breathe'. I do not have a blog but would be happy to review for OWG if I am chosen. I don't read many devotionals, but I get the feeling this one was written for someone like me!
    bettimace at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betti, I hope you get a chance to read it. I think the message is something that will resonate with many people.

      Delete
  12. Thank you for sharing!!
    That was so encouraging!!!
    I'm so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by Edris. Glad this encouraged you!

      Delete

Google Analytics